The Northern Thailand Region contains Thailand’s tallest mountains and therefore is cooler than the rest of the country. This makes it particularly popular in December and January when the night time temperatures in the mountains will occasionally drop below freezing. In the plains, the daily average is normally around 25 degrees Celsius.
The rolling hills and high mountains, lush green forests and nature reserves, are some of the visual delights of this region of Thailand.
The mix of ethnic people makes the north a rich melting pot of cultures. The rich cultural and historical tapestry of the region arguably makes it one of the most authentic places to visit in Thailand.
Main Cities and Attractions of the Northern Thailand Region
- Chiang Mai – high mountains, waterfalls, cool climate, hill tribes, temples, history, popular with tourists.
- Chiang Rai – Golden Triangle Laos, Burma and Thailand, meet, History, Hill tribes, Mountains
- Kamphaeng Phet – history, temples, “egg banana”
- Lampang – ceramics, temples, history
- Lamphun – wood carvings, elaborately woven silks, hand woven cotton, temples, culture, history
- Mae Hong Son – lush valleys, virgin forests, hill tribes, river rafting, mountain biking, tea growing
- Nakhon Sawan – Buddha footprint, fresh water swamp, temples, caves, spectacular waterfalls
- Nan – history, temples, mountains, handicrafts, musical instruments, silverware
- Phayao – fresh water lake fishing, temples, large sitting Buddha, waterfalls, birds, handmade cotton
- Phetchabun – national parks, waterfalls, communist war history, and arguably the most spectacular temple in Thailand. Read more…
- Phichit – fresh water fish breeding, 34 meter-tall golden Buddha, temples, pomelo fruit growing, hand woven fabrics
- Phitsanulok – authentic Thai city unspoiled by western tourists, bird park, Buddha factory, folklore museum
- Phrae – teak forests and ancient teak buildings, national parks, waterfalls, temples
- Sukhothai – Thailand’s original capital, history, national parks, museums, cycling
- Tak – large waterfalls, natural stone bridge, national parks, large dam, natural beauty
- Uthai Thani – hot and sulfur springs, water buffalo, waterfalls, river rafting, national parks, world heritage areas
- Uttaradit – biggest teak tree in the world, natural parks, forests, caves, waterfalls, temples